Wood County, Wisconsin

Official Website

User Icon Login

Kinship Care is designed to help support a child who needs to live outside of his or her own home, either temporarily or for the long term, by placing the child with a relative (such as an adult brother or sister, a first cousin, a nephew or niece, an uncle or aunt or a grandparent, among others).

Kinship Care supports the concept of children residing with a relative to relieve family stress or temporary problems, rather than being placed in a foster home or other type of out-of-home placement. For children who do come to the attention of the child welfare system, Kinship Care creates another placement option for a child who may not be able to continue living at home with his or her parents. It should not, however, be used when a foster care placement is in the best interests of the child.

A kinship care coordinator is available to answer any questions you may have about becoming a kinship caregiver and will work with you throughout the process of becoming a kinship caregiver and having a child placed in your home.

If you are interested in obtaining information about receiving Kinship Care for the child in your care, contact the Kinship Care Coordinator at 715-421-8600.