Wood County, Wisconsin

Official Website

User Icon Login


State of Wisconsin Veterans' Benefits


Wisconsin GI Bill

The Wisconsin GI Bill waives tuition and fees at University of Wisconsin and Wisconsin Technical College schools. Eligible veterans and certain dependents may receive the greater of eight full-time semesters or 128 credits for technical, undergraduate, professional or graduate study.

Eligibility highlights

You must have been a resident of Wisconsin at the time of entry into active duty service or in the U.S. Armed Forces. Military service must have been under honorable conditions, and must have included at least one of the following

  • 90 or more days of active duty service during a statutorily-designated wartime period,
  • Two years of active duty service during peacetime,
  • Active duty service that included the award of the Expeditionary Medal or a qualifying campaign service medal, or
  • The period of service was ended due to a service-connected disability, hardship or a reduction in forces.

See WDVA Eligibility requirements-Military Service for more details.

Veterans Education Reimbursement Grant (Vet Ed Grant)

Serving as a payer-of-last resort, the VetEd Grant reimburses eligible veterans for studying at qualifying institutions. You must attend an approved program or course and your school must award academic credit. Grant amounts are based on the length of your qualifying active duty service. Reimbursement never exceeds the actual payment you make and maximum limits apply. You have up to ten years from your date of separation to use a VetEd Grant for full-time study. After ten years, up to 60 unused credits may be "banked" for additional part-time study.

Eligibility highlights
  • The VetEd Grant is for undergraduates only. You are not eligible if you have an undergraduate degree from any institution of higher learning.
  • You must first have exhausted any available assistance through the Wisconsin GI Bill, National Guard Tuition Grant, or Reserve Tuition Assistance.
  • Income requirements apply.
  • You must complete the semester or course(s) with at least a 2.0 or "C" average.
Retraining Grant

If you become unemployed or underemployed (your annual wages are below federal poverty guidelines within the last year) you may qualify for a grant of up to $3,000 per year while receiving educational or on-the-job retraining, or have received a notice of termination within the last year, you may qualify for a grant of up to $3,000 per year while receiving educational or on-the-job retraining.

Eligibility highlights
  • You must have been involuntarily laid off or discharged within one year of applying.
  • You were employed for at least six consecutive months with the same employer or in similar occupations.
  • You are currently enrolled in a technical college or approved proprietary school that does not offer a four year degree, or are engaged in an on-the-job training program that will be completed within two years of the date your application is filed with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA).


Assistance to Needy Veterans Grant (ANV)

ANV grants provide limited health care and subsistence aid to low-income veterans. The lifetime maximum amount is $7,500. Aid is primarily available for veterans. The spouse and dependent of a veteran killed in action or in the line of duty are eligible to apply. Spouses and dependents of service members who experience a loss of income due to the veteran's activation or deployment and suffer an economic emergency may also qualify.

  • Subsistence aid - Financial aid may be provided when there is a loss of the veteran's income due to illness, injury, or natural disaster. The grant covers individual 30-day periods or a 90-day period, up to a maximum of $3,000 in a consecutive 12-month period.
  • Health Care- Financial aid for dental care, dentures, vision care, and hearing care is available. The maximum lifetime benefit available is $7,500. Applicants with household liquid assets in excess of $1,000 are NOT eligible for health grants.
Eligibility highlights:
  • Your income cannot exceed WDVA poverty guidelines.
  • You must have applied for and been denied all other aid, such as Unemployment Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and the federal VA health care system.
Veterans Assistance Program (VAP)

The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) administers a program to assist veterans who are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless. The Veterans Assistance Program helps veterans receive the support services necessary to: successfully re-enter the work force; establish a consistent source of income that will enable them to live independently; or access long-term, inpatient health care. Transitional housing is provided, along with services focused on education and training, employment, health care, housing referral, counseling and legal assistance.

For more information:
  • Contact WDVA at 1-800-947-8387
  • Contact one of the Veterans Assistance Program sites directly:
    • Chippewa Falls, 715-726-2541
    • Fort McCoy, 608-26-0234
    • Union Grove, 262-878-9151
    • King, 715-256-1118
Veterans Home at King and Union Grove

Veterans and their spouses may receive skilled nursing care at either Home; King is located on Rainbow Lake near Waupaca. It is the largest, and one of the most modern, nursing homes in the United States. Union Grove is located in Racine County; a modern and affordable residence offers countless opportunities to enjoy the companionship of fellow veterans in a variety of social settings.

Eligibility highlights:

Veterans must meet criteria for military service and state residency. You must have entered service from the state of Wisconsin, or have resided in Wisconsin for 12 consecutive months since your discharge from military service. A spouse of a veteran can also reside at the Wisconsin Veterans home, provided they are admitted while the veteran is at some type of facility or if the spouse is a widow/widower.

  • For more information: Veterans Homes. Or, call toll-free:
    • Veterans Home at King, 1-888-458-5586
    • Veterans Home at Union Grove, 1-866-669-8387
    • Veterans Home at Chippewa Falls - to be opened in the future
  • State Veterans Cemeteries - Veterans, their spouses and family members may be buried at the state veteran’s cemeteries. There is no charge for the burial of an eligible veteran with use of the burial items supplied by the cemetery. Cemetery Locations:
    • Northern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery - Spooner, WI
    • Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery - Union Grove, WI
    • Central Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery - King, WI
  • For more information: Veterans Memorial Cemeteries.

  • Additional Benefits of Interest:

    See WDVA Web Site (State Benefits) for specific details on these and other programs. Generally to qualify for these benefits, veterans must have entered service on active duty from Wisconsin or have been a resident for at least one consecutive year after entry or reentry into service. Veterans who received dishonorable discharges are NOT eligible.

Federal Programs and Services

Recently Discharged Veterans
  • Correction of military discharge
  • VA Medical Benefits
  • 90 day Dental
  • Recording DD214's
  • Information and Referral
  • Compensation Claims
  • Combat related special compensation (retired veterans)
  • Education and training
Education Benefits
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Montgomery GI Bill
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Survivors' & Dependents' Education Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Chapter 1607 and 1607
**Time Limits - Generally, veterans discharged after 09/11/01 have 15 years from the date they were last released from active duty to use their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Spouses generally have 10 years from the date veteran first found eligible. Qualified children are generally eligible from age 18 until age 26
Health Benefits
  • TRICARE referral
  • CHAMPVA - for certain eligible
  • VA Medical Care
    • Hospital, outpatient medical, pharmacy, prosthetic services, and local clinic enrollments
    • Nursing home for eligible veterans
    • Sexual trauma counseling
    • Specialized health care for women veterans
    • Health and rehabilitation programs for homeless veterans
    • Alcohol and drug dependency treatment
    • Medical treatment for exposure to Agent Orange, radiation or environmental hazards
    • Wausau Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC)
    • Readjustment Counseling Services
    • Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Home Buying
VA home loan guaranties are issued to help eligible service members, veterans, reservists and unmarried surviving spouses obtain homes, and to refinance loans.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for VA guaranteed home loans
Disabled Veterans
  • Compensation Claims
  • Non-service connected disability pension
  • Assistance with Appeals
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Benefits for former POW's
Death Benefits
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is payable to survivors of
    • Service members who died on active duty
    • Veterans who died from a service-connected disability
    • Certain veterans who were being paid 100% VA disability compensation at time of death
  • Death Pension - based on financial need
Burial Benefits
  • Burial allowance
  • Military burial marker or medallion
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate
  • Government Life Insurance
  • Burial in a Wisconsin State Cemetery
  • Burial in a VA National Cemetery
Miscellaneous Services
  • Obtaining military awards
  • Obtaining military service records
  • Complete VA annual income form (EVR's)
  • Medals replacement

See the VA Web Site (Federal Benefits) for detailed information on these programs, or call the Wood County Veteran Service Office at (715) 421-8420.